African Banking Awards : Best bank for CSR in Africa
In October 2020, EMEA Finance magazine unveiled the winners of the African Banking Awards.
Numerous prizes have been awarded to Societe Generale, including that of Africa's Best Bank for CSR. This award once again recognizes the Bank's long-standing commitment to the continent.
This award highlights in particular the latest developments within the framework of the Grow with Africa programto support the sustainable growth of the continent, in terms of supporting SMEs and entrepreneurship, financial inclusion, green financing and infrastructure.
The magazine also highlighted the role played by the Societe Generale Foundation through its program in Africa. In 2019, the Foundation supported 16 projects in the 14 countries where the bank is established, for a total funding of € 666,500.
The role played by Societe Generale in terms of diversity is also highlighted. Thus, the various local initiatives to support women's causes, ranging from training in computer programming to the creation and launch of businesses, have been welcomed by EMEA Finance, as has Societe Generale's strong commitment to increase the diversity of women in its management committees and its goal of achieving one-third female representation by 2022.
Finally, EMEA Finance underlined the Group's commitment to the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic and its African initiatives:
- donation of 1.5 million euros to Médecins sans frontières (MSF) to support its efforts in Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Côte d'Ivoire and Senegal;
- donation of € 370,000 to CARE to help it in its prevention efforts in Madagascar and Chad
- donation of one million euros to the IFRC to support its efforts in some of the countries most affected by the health crisis in Benin, Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Ghana, Guinea, Mauritania, Mozambique and Togo.
Societe Generale also received the following awards:
- Best Bank and Best Investment Bank in Cameroon
- Best Bank and Best Investment Bank in Côte d'Ivoire
- Best foreign bank and Best investment bank in Morocco
In addition, Ahmed El Yacoubi, Chairman of the Board of Societe Generale Maroc (SGMA) was named Best African CEO of the Year on the occasion of these trophies.
Societe Generale thus won a total of 8 prizes at the 2020 edition of the African Banking Awards of EMEA Finance magazine.