Participate in infrastructure financing
Whether from its European bases or through its 19 locations on the African continent, Societe Generale Group is deeply involved in financing infrastructure in Africa.
The bank has been the first French bank financing infrastructure in Africa over the past 5 years. Infrastructures cover several sectors, including Energy, Transports, Telecoms networks, Environment, and Health.
Infrastructure financing is a key factor in Africa's development, and Societe Generale has decided to put a specific set-up in place on the continent, ,by creating platforms dedicated to infrastructure financing. Based in Algeria, Morocco and Côte d'Ivoire and staffed by dozens of experts, their mission is to deploy Societe Generale's expertise in structured finance in the countries where Societe Generale is present, as close as possible to clients and their projects. This set-up, which is complementary to what Societe Generale offers through its Investment Banking teams in Europe, allows the bank to commit to very ambitious growth objectives and to increase its financial commitments related to structured finance in Africa, including infrastructure financing, by 20% over 3 years.
It is in this perspective that the Group's approach is to work and reflect with local, regional and international financial partners, on solutions to widen the universe of financing:
- find new sources of financing in local currency,
- extend the maturity of these financings by raising credits,
- put in place structures to free themselves from sovereign guarantees,
- contribute to the deployment of new products offered by investment funds or development agencies..
Thus, in Maghreb and sub-Saharan Africa, Societe Generale plays a major role in financing infrastructure, wherever necessary, while supporting sustainable solutions aimed at improving the daily lives of populations.
Societe Generale thus contributes to the financing of various infrastructure projects:
- in the environmental sector, notably concerning access to water,
- in the transportation sector: road or railroad construction, financing of port and airport facilities,
- in the energy production and distribution sector, with the financing of hydroelectric, wind or solar power plant projects,
- in the health sector, including the financing of hospitals,
- in the telecom sector, which play an important role in the economic development of many African countries and allow for greater inclusion of local populations.
In Benin, Cameroon, Côte d'Ivoire, Ghana... Societe Generale plays a diversified role in infrastucture financing, everywhere it is needed on the continent, while supporting sustainable solutions aiming at enhancing people's day-to-day living.
Long-term financing is helping the continent create more sustainable services and build cities to combat climate change
The rehabilitation of the Eastern Corridor road and the construction of four bridges, thanks to a EUR 212 million...
Mota-Engil Africa, part of Mota-Engil Group, is an African Engineering company that signed a binding agreement with the...
To contribute to the sustainable development of the country
Infrastructure financing is a key factor in Africa's development, and Societe Generale intends to further increase its...
The Spanish contractor Makiber (ACS group) has finished the construction of a new hospital, which marks a major social...
GreenYellow, Axian, Societe Generale, GuarantCo and African Guarantee Fund close MGA 73.8 billion (EUR 16.2 million/USD...
In 3 years, a new university hospital centre near Cotonou will offer state-of-the-art benefits and services enabling an...
Infrastructure financing, a key factor for development